Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rotaract

Rotaract. A word. A movement. A passion. A challenge .

Yes. It is so. If you feel it, enjoy it and have a dream. 

To me it was a youth group, that a couple of my friends were a part of, which did some meaningful stuff to contribute to the society, which made me come to attend the meetings. During the course of attending a couple of meetings I realised that it had a bunch of very friendly kids (yes I realised that most were at least 3 years younger to me) who were super enthusiastic to try new things and meet new people, who spoke smoothly and stood firmly. Impressive.

Hence, gradually Friday evenings started being equal to Rotaract meetings. Gradually Chinmay, Ameya, Gauravi and Abhishek got me updated and did their best to keep me roped in every little activity. Then came words and abbreviations like ‘taking the agenda’ and being the ‘PCP’…gradually I was made the joint Community Service Director considering Aditya’s absence due to his exams. Then I initiated collection of old clothes for the Cancer Society. That was my first project as a Director in the club. Got a couple of appreciations…felt good.
Then completely unaware that the Rotaract year changes in June-July, I understood that my club, the Rotaract Club of Thane Central and its pillars were upto some serious discussions.. that of finding a new President for the year to come. Little did I know, that I would end up being the one! The day they brought upon this idea to me, I actually thought they were joking…I mean I was barely 3months old as a member…barely understood the bylaws and stuff…and PRESIDENT? Huh..’kuch bhi kya’!!! 
But then.. my Past Presidents knew what they had to do (smart they are I must admit!!) Loads of convincing and educative sessions started…after GBMs…after office..at Ram Maruti Road, New English School, Open House, CCD, Meadows..over the phone..gosh.madness.
But then while withstanding this madness I realised that I was enjoying it. It was now or never. It was a challenge. Someone believed in me. Some people thought I could. I had an opportunity knocking at my doorstep. I had a chance to dream with eyes open...to make it real. Could I? Should I? 
And then the most important question struck me… WHY NOT!!!

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good social work. Remember, you are doing more important work than most of us, so keep doing it. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Dada dearest, you never fail to encourage me!

    ReplyDelete